BCP2011 (BCP_esv) Hardcover imitation burgundy leather
For centuries, the spiritual lives of countless men and women all over the world have been strengthened with the help of the Book of Common Prayer. This edition contains the ancient prayers and liturgies of the Anglican tradition as used in North America, conformed to the Biblical phrasing of the ESV Bible® (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version®). Extensive Bible referencing has been included for the prayers and liturgies to assist in Biblical study. This edition is modeled on the original 1549 edition for which Thomas Cranmer compiled material from ancient sources into a single volume. This edition captures the beauty of English prose crafted in a liturgical style consistent with the richness of the Anglican tradition.
This Book of Common Prayer (BCP-esv) was originally released in 2011, but was updated, corrected, and made available in 2014. The corrections were refinements from those using the BCP-esv in the USA and Canada. Of special note was the addition of a Great Commission dismissal at the end of Holy Communion mirroring the Great Commandment at the start, and the inclusion for the Queen reflecting polity of those in residing in Canada. This Book of Common Prayer was created at the request of Richard Boyce, Bishop-retired of the Diocese of the West, in response to missionary work desiring to maintain the ancient worship of the Anglican tradition but well intentioned revisions of Elizabethan and King James Version language where falling short. In addition to selling out the first printing in the USA and Canada, interest in this Book of Common Prayer has spread widely in the Anglican Communion worldwide.
The BCP-esv edition is an “essentially literal” translation of ancient sources, balancing “word-for-word” accuracy and functional meaning with readability, literary excellence, and the depth of meaning expected in Anglicanism. The BCP-esv combines the ancient prayer tradition with accessibility for today's Christians. The BCP-esv meets an essential need for new, growing congregations who desire ancient worship in language intended for today's Christian. A Liturgical Psalter with Psalms from ESV Bible® text Biblical references for most of the prayers and liturgies.
- NEW Printing has an improved textured burgundy cover over hardboard and binding to improve durability
- Prayer text in black 11 point type
- Rubric text in red 10 point type (notes printed in red)
- Four color printing (titles in blue, text in black, rubrics in red, posture in green)
- Introductions to each of the major liturgical sections of the prayer book
- Daily and Sunday Lectionaries (Bible reading plans) in keeping with the historic Western tradition of the last millennium with options for expanded reading and optional three-year lectionary.
- Hard-bound, thin, light-weight format in an easy-to-read 6 x 9 inch size
- Ribbon marker
- Bound with the Thirty-Nine Articles of Religion, including the Royal Declaration